Wednesday 26 February 2014

Last Night A Soul Song Changed My Life: Phill Most Chill, Kimberlee Fuller, Andrew Brearley and Sean Haydon












Last Night A Soul Song Changed My Life

PHILL MOST CHILL
(Legend of Digging, Diggers With Grattitude, Philadelphia / www.therealschitt.com)
Gil Scott Heron - We Almost Lost Detroit
There is no one song that changed my life, I love waaay too many songs to narrow that down to just one. But this is one that I heard as a child in the '70s; it resonated with me back then and it still does to this day. For me there is nothing greater than a song with a sound that feels good, coupled with lyrics that stir your soul. I had no idea who Karen Silkwood was when I first heard this song and wasn't really 100% sure just what Gil was talking about. But I knew he was talking about something. "When it comes to people's safety / money wins out any time". So powerful, so true.

---

KIMBERLEE FULLER
(Aka Miss Shingaling, Precious Owl / www.etsy.com/shop/preciousowl)
Blair - Nightlife
It came out on LP, 12" and 45 (Solar Sound and Miracle), It's from my hometown, Buffalo, NY and the whole vibe always gets me in the mood to go out and party. It's the soundtrack I like to have in my head while driving along the Niagara River on the Scajaquada Expressway, heading towards downtown. The cover of the LP features the skyline of Buffalo and it really captures the overall, sleazy, '70s, gritty-vibe of the Queen City.

---

ANDREW BREARLEY
(Aka MeatyOgre, Head Honcho at Cherries Records, Chicago / www.cherriesrecords.com)
Gibson Brothers Band - Love Coming At Us
This is the song my wife and I walked into our wedding with. The first day we both heard this, we swooned over it and decided this was "our" song. Beautiful melody, beautiful message, and a song you can listen to over and over and not tire of.

---

SEAN HAYDON
(Co-productive genius at the Soul-Funk-Tion All-Nighter event out of Staffordshire, UK)
Willie Dale - Let Your Light Shine
I came across it whilst searching for another fantastic record, Waymond Hall's 'What Will Tomorrow Bring'. Someone had posted a sound file on Soul Source, covered as Waymond Hall 'Children of the World'. It blew my head off straight away on hearing it. I remember calling Karl Heard and saying "What the hell is this tune?" he said he'd heard it before and that it was a very rare record. Turns out that there were only eight ever produced. Typical! Not much chance of one of those then? I spoke to Dave Abbott about it: he'd heard the same file and was on the case. Within a couple of months we both had a copy. Think it was a matter of chasing 'em at the right time and asking the right people. Thanks to Brother Abbott for his hard work, persistence and negotiating skills; forever grateful my friend.


(All taken from issue #3 of the Soultearoa Shakedown fanzine)


No comments:

Post a Comment