Sunday, 28 July 2013
Nyntee and Mark de Clive-Lowe "Top 5 Lists"
Excerpts from issue #1 of the Soultearoa Shakedown fanzine:
Top 5: Eating Joints In Auckland City (And One Other)
1. Shochu Bar Amami, 413 Manukau Rd, Epsom
2. El Sizzling Chorizo, Ponsonby Central, Ponsonby
3. Mexican Specialties Cafe, 72 Marua Rd, Ellerslie
4. Satya Indian Restaurant, 515 Sandringham Rd, Sandringham
5. Cazador, 815 Dominion Rd, Mt Eden
...and an honourary mention (as it's nowhere near Auckland City)...
6. Roscoes House Of Fried Chicken & Waffles, Hollywood, L.A.
Nyntee is on your wireless every Friday from 12-2pm, for In The Pocket with 90, on Radio Ponsonby. It's worth giving his blog a look too. Oh, and he's also the fella behind the resurrection of the NZ Soul All Dayer, and the Soultearoa Shakedown.
MARK DE CLIVE-LOWE
Top 5: Music Events
1. D'Angelo Voodoo Tour with support from Slum Village (Brixton Academy, London)
2. Herbie Hancock/V.S.O.P. (Yomiuri Land, Tokyo)
3. Bembe Segue (Jazz Cafe, London)
4. DJ Spinna 7 Hour DJ Set (Club Asia, Tokyo)
5. J Dilla DJ Set (Plastic People, London)
MdCL is one of NZ's most respected musical figures globally, hands down. Check his recent Take The Space Trane album (Tru Thoughts) alongside the Rotterdam Jazz Orchestra for big orchestral grooves and a modern take on the big band sound. And, if you get the chance, his ever-evolving CHURCH shows in LA, and NYC during the US summer.
Issue #2 of the 'zine will be available for FREE, at the next NZ Soul All Dayer event - also FREE, from midday til midnight, Saturday 17 August, at the Britomart Country Club.