Sunday, 28 July 2013
Scott Towers and Kev Beadle "Top 5 Lists"
Excerpts from issue #1 of the Soultearoa Shakedown fanzine:
SCOTT 'DOUGHBOY' TOWERS
Top 5: Spots To Get Schooled On Awesome Music
1. Groove Merchant record store (in San Francisco, USA)
2. Ben Stevens' crates (aka DJ Longboss)
3. The Boil Up radio show (Base FM Thurs 8pm)
4. Dennis 'Citizen' Kane's podcast (http://www.dsgtnyc.com)
5. Kilburn Record Fair (in London, UK)
Scott DJs fairly regularly under the pseudonym Doughboy, and has done so at venues from here to Berlin, and many points in between. In his 'dayjob' he plays saxophone for Fat Freddy's Drop. And he makes a mean handmade sausage.
Top 5: Current Favourite Tunes
1. Paul Hill - Need Me Some U (Mahogani Music)
2. Anushka - I Have Love For You (Brownswood)
3. Alt J - Breezeblocks (Romare remix (CDR))
4. Mr Beatnick - Symbiosis (Don't Be Afraid)
5. Letherette - Restless (Ninja Tune)
Kev Beadles is a renaissance man: DJ, producer, tastemaker, A&R, label management, promotion, event consultancy, retail, distribution and assembler of compilations (Blue Note, Cadet, BBE and more). He is also one of the longest standing DJ resident consultants for the legendary Southport Weekender, programming the events' most cutting-edge arena - The Beat Bar; and his weekly show on Solar Radio has been running for over 12yrs. Check it via podcast.
Issue #2 of the 'zine will be available for FREE at the next NZ Soul All Dayer event - also FREE, from midday til midnight, Saturday 17 August, at the Britomart Country Club.