Thursday, 1 August 2013
Jubt and Dante Carfagna "Top 5 Lists"
Excerpts from issue #1 of the Soultearoa Shakedown fanzine:
Top 11: Aukelangi Soul Food Favourites
"Let's face it: most food is just fuel to get you through the day, but you need those flashes of transcendence to keep you looking forward to the next mouthful. Yours may be different, but here are some old favourites that make my soul sing." -- Jubt
1. Latka at Grey's Ave Deli: essential hangover greasies
2. Pork and Fennel Dumplings at Barilla
3. Feijoa from under the tree: tart, textured and fragrant
4. Puttanesca Pizza at Prego
5. Brezel at Diehl's German Bakery
6. Beef Taco at Mexican Specialities
7. Gurnard and Chips (with extra salt) at Mt Eden Village Fish Shop
8. Lean Chilli Biltong at The South African Shop, Rosedale Road, Albany
9. Soto Sarabaya at Kuta Bali, Ponsonby Road Foodcourt
10. Steak and Blue Cheese Pie at (hopefully re-opening soon) Pie Mania
11. Spicy Miso Ramen at Daikoku Ramen
Top 5: Early '70s Soul Bands From Ohio That Never Released A Record
1. Brother Rabbit And The Electric Soul Food
2. The Elegant Undergrounds
3. The Fabulous War Machine Band
4. Mellow Thunder
5. Purple Shaft Band
Dante Carfagna lives in Chicago and is one of the most knowledgeable soul/funk 45 collector/DJs around. What this guy has forgotten about records would blow your mind - except that he doesn't forget. He is heavily involved with research for the Numero Group and has also released many record himself. Dante is simply one of the deepest heads in the world, who counts "discography" as one of his passions. Check out his website covering Ohio Soul Recordings.
Issue #2 of the 'zine will be available for FREE at the next NZ Soul All Dayer - also FREE, from midday til midnight, Saturday 17 August, at the Britomart Country Club.